Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Creepy Crawly in the Caverns

Part 2 of the Caverns of Tantalus

Last time, our heroes fell into a pit trap but Rugen managed to grab the edge, and Tee, before plunging into the yawing, bottomless, chasm. Let's return to the action.

I began to slide into the abyss. Suddenly, I felt two strong hands grasp my arms. I looked up. Tee had made it to the ledge and was pulling me up. Saved!

Once we were again standing in the cavern, Tee easily jumped across the pit. He then threw me a rope. I swung over and rappelled up to the other side. From there, we continued to make our way through the cavern, using the oil trail as our guide.

Finally, we came to a door cleverly disguised in the rocky wall. Nevertheless, there was a small control panel. Tee accessed it and began to try various passwords to open the door. As he was doing this, a tremor shook the caverns and rocks began falling on our heads. We took cover as best as we could by kneeling up against the wall. Fortunately, the tremor subsided, but it left us distracted and unaware.

That's when I felt it. A large mass fell upon my back and I felt a stabbing pain in my shoulder. Howling with surprise, I spun my body, flinging the mass to the ground. It was a large spider-like creature.




I felt a searing in my flesh. I recited a quick prayer, and the pain subsided. The monstrosity circled, looking for an opening. It pounced again, but our reactions were faster. Tee blasted it with his laser while I struck it with my stun blade. The impacts knocked the creature to the ground, wounded and dazed. We did not hesitate but attacked again. I leaped upon the spider-thing while Tee shot again. Both our attacks struck home and the monster was finished.

Tee was then able to return to the control panel and shortly thereafter the door opened. We gazed down a flight of stairs into the gloom of the research station's laboratories.

Tune in next time for Part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment